Sunday, October 30, 2011

We're Off to See the Wizard

A few weeks ago I saw in our local newspaper that The Musical Theater of Idaho was performing The Wizard of Oz.  I thought it would be the perfect thing to take Tralee to.  She's never seen a full live performance, and I thought The Wizard of Oz would be the perfect introduction into the world of stage.

We went into the box office on Friday to buy our tickets for Saturday's show, only to be told they were SOLD OUT!  Oh no!  That was the only performance we could make it too.  The nice lady at the ticket office told us, "If you come to the performance on Saturday, we'll put you on a waiting list and if somebody doesn't show up, you can buy their tickets."  As we were leaving the box office Tralee asked, "Did we get our tickets?"  When I told her they sold out her little face looked awfully forlorn.  I kept my fingers crossed that two seats would open for us on Saturday, because I promised my little girl we would go to OZ!

Yesterday Tralee and I left Jim and Hunter at home to do guy stuff, while we made our way to the civic center.  Before we left, Tralee and I said a little prayer that we would be able to see The Wizard of Oz.  I know it was kind of a trivial thing to pray for, but after promising Tralee for weeks I would take her to see The Wizard of Oz, I needed a little help from upstairs.  When we arrived at the civic center Tralee and I walked in hand-in-hand.  We found the same lady that helped us at the ticket booth and asked if we could be put on the waiting list.  She informed us, "Give me about five minutes, but getting you some seats shouldn't be a problem."  HOORAY!  Tralee swiftly turned to me and asked, "So, we're going to see The Wizard of Oz?"  When I answered, "Yes!"  Tralee shouted for joy and jumped up an down.  I might have too.

About five minutes later Ticket Booth Lady waved us over.  She whispered in my ear, "I have a season ticket holder who can't make it today.  She's stuck at a wedding, and would like to donate her tickets to you."  Ok, I might be a little bit of a dork, but I totally welled up!  I thanked Ticket Booth Lady, and Tralee and I made our way, tickets in hand, to the AWESOMEST SEATS IN THE HOUSE!  We were in row E, right smack-dab in the middle.  Maybe it was just luck, but I believe our prayer was answered.  So did Tralee, because when she prayed before bedtime she said, ". . .and thank you for letting us see The Wizard of Oz."

Overall the local cast ensemble did a really wonderful job!  Dorthy was great, The Wicked Witch of the West was amazing, Scarecrow, Tin Man, and the Cowardly Lion were also awesome!  Glenda the Good Witch was fun too.  I liked it when she floated by on her bubble.  My favorite part was the jitterbug number, which I guess was taken out of the motion picture.  I'm not sure why, because it's super fun!  The real live Toto and miniature horse were also a hit!  Tralee really liked Toto, she thought he was "so cute!"  The highlight for me was, after every number Tralee clapped and shouted, "Bravo!  Bravo!"  Where did she learn that?  At intermission we bought some cookies to share.  I thought Tralee would get a kick out of the green witch cookie, but she wouldn't eat it because she said the witch is too scary.  Silly girl!  She did, however, munch on a chocolate covered Oreo without difficulty.  At one point during the show Tralee climbed into my lap, and whispered in my ear, "Mom.  I love you."  The feeling is mutual!  I'm so happy my little munchkin and I were able to get lost in Oz together!

1 comment:

Boom said...

What a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing!
Love you, Mom