Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The First Day

The first day of school arrived yesterday.  Tralee was excited and ready to take on another school year.  I was happy she had a positive outlook.

Walking to Meet the Teacher

Tralee's new classroom


We started a back-to-school tradition in our home.  The night before school starts, we take the kids to Meet the Teacher night at school, then go out to dinner.  We took them to a Japanese Hibachi restaurant Monday night.  The whole experience was hilarious.  The first time the chef lit the grill on fire Hunter put his hands on either side of his face like Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone and his eyes got really wide.  After two rounds of "Japanese fireworks" Hunter told the chef, "Okay, that's enough fire."  Tralee on the other hand wished for "More fire!  More fire!"

So excited at the restaurant!

Our chef was really fun!

After dinner, we came home and I gave my kiddies their gifts.  The next part of our back-to-school tradition involves me picking out the perfect book for my kid-os, and writing an inscription (more like a mother's love letter) wishing them a wonderful school year.  I wrap up the books, and once they're opened, we save the story and letter for their bedtime.

This year's books were:

For Tralee:



 For Hunter:


As soon as I flipped through each of these books, they totally reminded me of my children, and I knew these books were "the ones."  The idea behind the book tradition is, when they graduate from high school they'll have a nice collection of books and love letters for them to take with them throughout the remainder of their adult lives.  Each letter is filled with advice and reminders that their mom and dad will love them always.   The letter also included things that pertain to them as individuals in that stage of their life.  So, in a way, it's a nice memory for them as well.  Also, as an English major, I think a book is a pretty awesome gift.  Hopefully my children will feel the same!  I hope they get excited to see which book I'll pick out for them each year, and see what advice awaits within the front cover. 

After opening their books, Jim gave each of the children a father's blessing, and then we got ready for bed.  Tralee dressed in her pajamas, and laid out her first-day outfit.  Hunter won't start pre-school until next week, so he happily watched as Tralee readied herself.  At bedtime we said family prayers, and then Jim and I read the children their letters and books.  After the lights were out, it didn't take long for the wee ones to drift into slumberland.

The next morning, the kids were up before the alarm even went off.  We ate a healthy breakfast, took some pictures, and before long it was time to walk to school.  Tralee couldn't wait!

Before walking to school

Tralee decorated this "First Grade" page and gave it to her teacher.

Walking to school

Hunter and I dropped Tralee off, and then had the whole day together.  It was pretty quiet around here, but nice to spend some time with my little man.  I don't know what I'll do with myself on the three days a week where Hunter is in pre-school.  It's been six years of having kids around me 24/7.  All of a sudden I'll have no one to look after and play with for a few hours a day.  Part of me is excited about this new chapter, and the other part of me worries I will feel a bit lost.  I'm sure I'll find my way.  

Tralee, right before heading into her classroom

Tralee walked right in, found her place, and didn't look back!

Right after we dropped Tralee off,  Hunter and I snuggled while he ate his waffle,  and planned out how to spend our first day as just the two of us.
Hunter and I took Corky on a nice long walk, then visited a near-by park.  While on our walk, Hunter found some chalk, and then wrote his whole name for the FIRST TIME EVER!  SOOO exciting!  I helped by telling him what letter came next, but he did all the letters himself.  Usually he stops after the "U."  This time, he did his whole name, and even asked how to write an "E" and "R."  I was very proud of him.  He acted like it was no big thang!
Hunter after writing his name

HUNTER!

So. . . I hope this year is filled with many happy adventures for my babes and myself.  I know it will be a great year for all of us!   

1 comment:

Boom said...

What a great idea the books are. They certainly do sound like Hunter and Tralee. Can't wait to read them when I visit.

Love, Mom